#WelfareNotWarfare protest in London today

#WelfareNotWarfare protest in London today

I have copied and pasted the following press release from the Disabled People Against Cuts website as there is an important #WelfareNotWarfare protest going on in London today, more of which can be read below.

I really wish I was on the train to London right now to be involved in this protest. However, I am fighting my own battle for the right of disabled people – including myself – to live independently within the local community. More of this personal struggle will be featured on this blog in the next week or so.

Solidarity, love and thoughts to all those protesting in London and around the country today and over the next few days.

***

Disabled People Against Cuts: Press Release #WelfareNotWarfare Protest

On Wednesday 26th March Disabled People Against Cuts, Deaf and Disabled benefit claimants from across the country will descend on London as part of National Action to demand “Welfare Not Warfare” in protest against the Spring Statement and proposed £5bn cut to welfare spending outlined by the Department for Work and Pensions in their Green Paper ‘Pathways to Work: Reforming Benefits and Support to get Britain Working’ Green Paper’.

Linda Burnip, Co-Founder of Disabled People Against Cuts (DPAC), said “Labour should be ashamed of their proposed cuts which will push Disabled people into even greater poverty and destitution and cause many more to kill themselves. Disabled people will not allow themselves to be made scapegoats for Robber Reeves cuts while millionaires remain untouched by cuts.”

The London protest, titled “Balls to the Spring Statement” is being organised by Disabled People Against Cuts (DPAC), Inclusion London and Stop the War Coalition and supported by many other campaign groups and trade unions will meet outside Downing Street in Whitehall at 11 am before marching towards Parliament to join up with a protest organised by Homes for All.

Actors Cherylee Houston (Izzy Armstrong in Coronation Street) and Lisa Hammond (Vera and previously in Eastenders) will address the protest along with campaigners, trade unionists and politicians. There will also be music from John Kelly who sang at the Paralympic Games opening ceremony in London in 2012.

The London protest is part of national action led by Deaf and Disabled people and allies that includes protests in Edinburgh, Cardiff, Derry, Norwich, Manchester, Exeter, Leeds, Bristol and many other locations across the country. There will also be online protest activities for those unable to leave their homes.

Published on Tuesday 18th March 2025, the “reforms” proposed in Green Paper will cut essential income from millions of the poorest Deaf and Disabled people and our families.

The Rt Hon John McDonnell who is the Independent MP for Hayes and Harlington and a long time supporter of DPAC who will be speaking at the protest said, “Disabled people are facing the biggest cuts to their benefits in a decade, causing immense harm. Full support to DPAC which is standing up against this attack.

The Secretary of State Liz Kendall has justified the cuts by saying they will incentivise more people into employment. However, the majority of the savings attached to the cuts will affect Personal Independence Payment (PIP) which is a non-mean-tested benefit. Disabled people in work say cuts to PIP will force them to stop work.

Actor Cherylee Houston said: “There are over 16 million Disabled people in the UK. Just over three million of those currently receive PIP. These are those who are most in need from my community. PIP is used by many of us to stay in work and cover the extra costs that disability causes. My community is terrified that the Government is taking away the most basic support that those most in need rely on. The majority of unpaid carers are also Disabled and they rely on Carer’s Allowance which is linked to PIP to survive and this saves the Government a huge amount. It makes no sense to take away the basic supports that enable Disabled people to contribute to society. These cuts will trap more people in poverty. I am already hearing from friends that they fear they will no longer be able to work if these cuts go ahead.”

Other savings attached to the proposals will be achieved through cuts to out of work disability benefits for those officially found unfit for work.

Proposals to change the Work Capability Assessment proposed by the previous government, quashed through a successful legal challenge against a consultation ruled by the high court to have been “rushed”, “misleading” and “unfair”, would have hit 457,000 Disabled people by 2028/9, pushing another 100,000 Disabled households into absolute poverty while moving only 3% of those affected into employment.

Kirsty Blackman, MP for Aberdeen North, “The UK Government should be listening to the lived experience and voices of Disabled people. They know best the hardship they are facing and the devastating impact these cuts will have. As the cost-of-living sky rockets, cutting money from Disabled people is the worst decision the Government can take. They must think again and we will use every method we can to ensure they do so.”

Clive Lewis Labour MP for Norwich South, who has been vocally against the reforms said immediately after Kendall’s speech in Parliament announcing the cuts: “When she made the decision to go down this route did they understand the pain and difficulty this will cause for millions of people who are using food banks and social supermarkets, people who are on the brink. These 5 billion cuts will impact them more than I think her department is giving credit for… As things stand my constituents, my family, my friends are very angry about this.” 

Campaigners believe that the £5bn per year in savings targeted by the government through the cuts will be difficult to achieve and may well end up costing more in the long run, leading to heavy additional pressures on the NHS and on mental health, homelessness and social care services.

Arun Veerappan, Interim Director of Research at the Disability Policy Centre said, “As it stands, the Government’s sums don’t add up and these reforms are unlikely to both help disabled people and save the taxpayer money… Tightening PIP eligibility, for example, has been tried before by previous Governments and proposals have either been ruled unlawful, proved too complex or abandoned as unworkable.”

Campaigners have also questioned whether the impact on the economy of such large-scale costs have been properly thought through.

Ellen Clifford, Co-Ordinator of the UK Deaf and Disabled People’s Organisations Monitoring Coalition said: “Everything given to Disabled people in benefits goes straight back into the economy because we spend everything we are given on essentials. The scale of these cuts are simply and terrifyingly enormous. The consequences for society will be immense and the human cost will be devastating. Labour is making an unimaginably big mistake and it’s the poorest and most disadvantaged of us who will be left paying for it generations to come.”

Campaigners are calling on the Government to scrap their plans and to work in co-production with benefit claimants and PCS union which represents frontline DWP workers tasked with implementing any changes to the social security system.

Sophia Kleanthous from the Deaf and Disabled People’s Organisation Inclusion London said: “Despite the Labour Party pledge for years to “work in co-production with Disabled people in developing policy” in Summer last year they dropped this from their manifesto. We are concerned from the released Pathways to Work Green Paper consultation that this has not been co-produced with Disabled people’s organisations and Disabled people.”

Martin Cavanagh, National President of PCS union said: “PCS are absolutely behind DPAC and other campaign groups in their fight to oppose these cruel cuts to disability benefits. The government should be investing in social security, not slashing the benefits bill for those most in need.”

The Welfare Not Warfare protest will be demanding no more attacks on Disabled people, no increase in military spending and social security and homes for all.

Morag Gillie, Chair of Homes for All (HfA) says: “The scale of the housing emergency and the failure to build council housing has created shameful hardship and substandard housing. We are shocked that a labour government is now attacking disabled people who are facing savage cuts to disability benefits. We believe that the fight for housing & disability rights are inextricably linked, and this united action on March 26 helps to build the urgent opposition that we need.”

Chris Nineham, from Stop the War Coalition said that, “This budget means a drive to war abroad and a war against the most disadvantaged by society at home. It has to be challenged openly, energetically and on all fronts.”

END

Contact details:
UK and England: Ellen Clifford 07505 144 371 [SMS/whatsapp]; ellenclifford277@gmail.com
UK and Scotland: John McArdle 07379 612 778 [SMS/whatsapp]
Wales: Joe Powell 07972 516 328
Northern Ireland: Michael Lorimer 07528 464 350

Notes

  • Scope estimates that Disabled people on average face additional unavoidable disability-related expenditure of £1067 per month. PIP is a non means-tested benefit designed to contribute towards these extra costs.
  • The Government has not published the equality impact assessment for the Green Paper proposals. These are expected to be available after the Chancellor has given the Spring Statement. Until then we can only speculated how many hundreds of thousands of Disabled people will be affected and how badly.
  • It is estimated that through the Government’s proposed Personal Independence (PIP) cuts, between 800,000 and 1.2 million Disabled people will lose between £4200 and £6300 a year by 2029 to 2030 (Resolution Foundation, 2025).
  • Claimants and their families who lose eligibility for PIP will also lose eligibility for Carer’s Allowance and other passported entitlements.
  • According to the proposals, from 2028-29, getting PIP will be the factor that determines whether you get the health element of UC – meaning there will be no support specifically for Disabled people unable to work. Those who would otherwise qualify for the health element of UC – but not PIP (currently 600,000 people) – will therefore not get the element and be worse off by £2,400 per year (today’s prices; assuming they are new claimants who would otherwise have got the reduced health element
  • If the cuts to PIP are taken together with the Government’s proposals to scrap the Work Capability Assessment and replace current out of work disability benefits with a new “health” component of Universal Credit with eligibility tied to PIP, some claimants risk losing £9600 per year.
  • The current PIP fraud figures are 0% according to the DWP’s Fraud and Error in the Benefits System Annual Report of 2024, so the government’s crackdown on benefit fraud and its impact is inconsistent with the figures and very low rates of PIP fraud.
  • According to the Purple Pound, whose report into the true cost in accessing retail services for Disabled people, in 2024, UK retail sales reached £517 billion, £274 billion of this was spent by Disabled people and their families, so over 50% of the total retail sales in the UK.
  • The full list of campaigns and trade unions supporting the Welfare Not Warfare national action include: Acorn, Black Triangle campaign, Disability Rights UK, Disabled People Against Cuts, DPAC Northern Ireland, Equity, Free Our People campaign, Fuel Poverty Action, HFL Tenants, Homes for All, Housing Inclusion Hackney, Inclusion London, Keep Our NHS Public, London Renters’ Union, Manchester RAPAR, National Education Union, National Union of Journalists, Not Dead Yet UK, PCS union, People’s Assembly, Shape, Social Housing Action Group, Stand up to Racism, Stop the War Coalition, TUC Disabled Workers’ Committee, UK Deaf and Disabled People’s Organisations (DDPO) Monitoring Coalition, We Demand Change, Winvisible
Share this:
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
Email
Shopping Basket
Pre-Order Form

Dirty Old Town